Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orinda in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bryant Station Site

 
 
Bryant Station Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
1. Bryant Station Site Marker
Inscription. Bryant Station was the terminus of the California and Nevada Railroad, a narrow-gauge steam line which transported local harvests to the Emeryville docks. The railroad, formed in 1881, was originally planned to run passengers and freight to the silver mining camp of Bodie. By 1901, however, track beds had only been laid to Glorietta Boulevard, and the line to Orinda was abandoned.

The Bryant Station was named to honor Mayor Andrew J. Bryant of San Francisco. Mayor Bryant owned a large farm in Orinda Park, where his beautiful gardens and large outdoor dance floor were the train's main attraction. After 1893, the Orinda Crossroads was popularly referred to as Bryant's Corners.
 
Location. 37° 52.749′ N, 122° 10.955′ W. Marker is in Orinda, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Moraga Way and Vashell Way, on the right when traveling south on Moraga Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orinda CA 94563, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pony Express (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tres Ranchos Del Sur (approx. one mile away); Kennedy Tunnel (approx. 2.3 miles away);
A California and Nevada Train in Orinda image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, 1890's?
2. A California and Nevada Train in Orinda
A photo of the reproduction of a postcard that is part of the marker.
The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron (approx. 3.5 miles away); Lafayette Town Hall (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lafayette House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dedicated to the Pony Express (approx. 3.6 miles away); Geils Building (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orinda.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a low rock between two pine trees about 4 feet in from the curb. The rock is located approximately where Moraga Way dead-ends, with Vashell Way splitting off to the right, and a turn-around/alleyway splitting off to the left.
 
Also see . . .  Orinda Historical Society Newsletter of January, 2007. Kent and Teresa Long's Trains in Orinda? provides a history of the California and Nevada Line in Orinda, "...Incorporated in 1881, the “C&N” was led by Captain “Denver” Smith, who had built several successful railroads in Colorado. The line was planned to run from Emeryville, through Berkeley, San Pablo, and present-day Orinda, then extend through the Central Valley, over the Sierra Nevada near Sonora Pass, and terminate in Nevada, where it would connect with the Carson and Colorado
Bryant Station Site Marker and Landmark Designation Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
3. Bryant Station Site Marker and Landmark Designation Plaque
Mounted next to the Bryant Station marker is a landmark designation plaque indicating that the site was designated an historic landmark by the City of Orinda on July 12, 1997 by Ordinance 97-06.
Railroad. Trains began running between Emeryville and San Pablo in 1885, and the track was extended to the Orinda Crossroads (then called Bryant) by 1891. Impressive trestles were built in Orinda to cross the local creeks, and three stations were established, Orinda Park (at Wagner Ranch), de Laveaga (on the deLaveaga family’s property at Miner Rd.), and Bryant. Picnickers from Oakland would take the train out to enjoy the Orinda countryside, and hay grown in Lafayette and other local produce would be transported by the train back into market. As it turned out, the Bryant station at the Crossroads was as far as the railroad would ever reach, its finances hampered by competition and frequent washouts of the tracks. The train stopped running in late 1900." (Submitted on November 18, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Bryant Station Site Marker - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 12, 2009
4. Bryant Station Site Marker - Wide Shot
Visible behind the marker is a portion of the Orinda BART (light-rail) Station.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,415 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement