Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 150-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 58.981′ N, 82° 48.723′ W. Marker is in Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of West Haynes Street and Jones Street, on the right when traveling west on West Haynes Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in Sandersville. Marker is in this post office area: Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (within shouting Washington County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington County Viet Nam War Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington County Korean War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Pvt. Willie Lee Duckworth Sr. (about 300 feet away); Washington County Korean Monument (about 300 feet away); Washington County World War I Monument (about 300 feet away); Washington County World War II Monuments (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandersville.
Regarding Masonic Temple. The Transylvania Club, a ladies' service organization founded in Sandersville in 1908, created a public library in 1909, housed in the Masonic Temple building. The group had funded the purchase of 70,000 volumes when the building was destroyed by fire on February 13, 1921.
The group vowed to reestablish the library, and funded the new library by sale of a group of plates, made by Wedgwood in England, depicting scenes from Georgia history.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then. Last updated on November 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.