Dillon in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
James W. Dillon
Erected 1938 by Anne Fulmore Harllee Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, on June 29.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 25.107′ N, 79° 22.518′ W. Marker is in Dillon, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 34) just west of 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. It is at the Dillon County courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Dillon SC 29536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dillon County / Dillon County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Duncan McLaurin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Dillon / Florence Railroad Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Street Methodist Church James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Saint Paul Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Pee Dee Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Vidalia Academy (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dillon.
Also see . . . James W. Dillon entry in the History of South Carolina. 1920 book by Harry Gardner Cutler. “In 1882 he took into partnership his son Thomas A. Dillon, and after that for many years the [Little Rock] firm of James W. Dillon & Son continued the merchandising, banking and other extensive interests founded bv the senior partner. The Town of Dillon was established for the most part on land owned by the firm of J. W. Dillon & Son, who donated to the Florence Railroad Company a half interest in fifty-four acres. The Florence Railway had been partially completed in 1888, and it was in the following year that a branch of the main store at Little Rock was established on the site of the newtown. By 1891 this branch store had so grown that the firm abandoned the old site at Little Rock. After that James W. Dillon concentrated his time and energies upon the welfare and prosperity of the town and sought to further its every interest, whether in schools, churches or civic development.” (Submitted on November 21, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 962 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.