Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1841 County Jail

 
 
1841 County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. 1841 County Jail Marker
Inscription. The contract for this building was signed in 1841, but it was not completed until 1845. The accommodations for the jailer's family were in the front portion of the building with a hallway separating them from the cells. In the the rear of the downstairs were two cells constructed of large smooth cut ashlar stone. Originally, the windows had bars to keep the prisoners from escaping. Upstairs was one cell without bars on the windows for female prisoners and another cell with an iron cage, about four feet smaller in dimension than the room itself, which was used for violent or insane prisoners. At times the jail could be quite full when prisoners in-transit to penitentiaries came on the evening train and stayed overnight.

In 1899 Elkins was designated the new county seat of Randolph County, but this building remained as the official county jail until around 1920, when a new one was built in Elkins. Since then it has been used as a private residence.

To the left of the jail stood a small shop that the jailer, Isaiah Baker, used as a Saddler's shop until he moved his family away during the Civil War.

Notice the large cut stones of the cells in the rear of the building. The foundation is hand-shaped stone laid without mortar. The 9/6 window style was typical of many early Beverly buildings - these are recessed in
1841 County Jail Building image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. 1841 County Jail Building
The building undergoing restoration.
brick with brick mold surrounds and narrow stone sills. Slightly corbeled brick frieze turns into a corbeled cornice. The brick facade is in a Flemish bond pattern on the front and five-row common bond on the sides. The entrance door has a flat-headed, divided transom.
 
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
 
Location. 38° 50.413′ N, 79° 52.492′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at stop 31 of the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph County Jail (a few steps from this marker); Bushrod Crawford Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hill Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Co. Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); David Goff House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Foyles & Family (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
 
Also see . . .  1841 County Jail. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 23, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement