Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Town Square / City Hall Site
Side A: The Town Square
Only Broadway and Main were named on the original 1802 map of Lebanon. Broadway was 1 1/2 times wider so stagecoaches could turn around. The four lots at the intersection were set aside as the town square. Today two of the lots are parks and the other two are Lebanon's city hall and public library.
Side B: City Hall Site
The city building is Colonial Revival in style and was modeled after the chapel at Dennison [sic] University. It was dedicated in May of 1934. Two years earlier, the Opera House, built here in 1878, burned down on Christmas morning. This is also where the county's first courthouse was constructed in 1805.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 26.009′ N, 84° 12.494′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (U.S. 42) and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in front of City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 S. Broadway, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Plat / The Tharp House (within shouting distance of this marker); Christmas Tree Park The Village Ice Cream Parlor (within shouting distance of this marker); Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); LCNB Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 600 feet away); Ferguson House (about 700 feet away); Van Sickle House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Also see . . . History of Lebanon. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 629 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.