Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lewis House
The William C. Lewis House sits on lot No. 49 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The owner of a dry goods store on the corner of Mulberry and Broadway, Lewis built the Greek Revival house in 1846. The veranda was added around 1900. The cottage to the left was built in the 1860s as an office for his son-in-law, Dr. W.G. Goodhue.
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
Ezra Craver, a builder in Lebanon since 1835, was the contractor. Known locally for taking liberties with classic designs, his interior “Lebanon” cherry staircase post is said to be unique. The house was the home of Lewis's immediate family for over 125 years, ending in 1972 with the death of his daughter, Hazel Lewis Brookes.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 26.059′ N, 84° 12.335′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Cherry Street, on the left when traveling east on Mulberry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. I.O.O.F. Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Sickle House Ferguson House (about 400 feet away); Bundy House (about 400 feet away); LCNB Building (about 700 feet away); The Village Ice Cream Parlor (about 700 feet away); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town Square / City Hall Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 634 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.