Near Abbeville in Wilcox County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
New Hope Primitive Baptist Church
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 156-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 58.006′ N, 83° 17.424′ W. Marker is near Abbeville, Georgia, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 129 and New Hope Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 129. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville GA 31001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Soto Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Jefferson Davis Jefferson Davis (approx. 2 miles away); Wilcox County (approx. 2 miles away); Battle of Breakfast Branch (approx. 2.2 miles away); Ozias Church Bethlehem Church (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Irwin County Churches - New Hope. The History of Irwin County Chapter 14, gives a list of all parishoners as of March 14, 1842. “It was at New Hope Church, where the first split in the Primitive Baptist denomination occurred. This split or division was over the question of foreign missions. Some favored foreign missions while others as vigorously opposed the same which resulted in a division in the church. Those favoring foreign missions withdrew from the church and formed a Missionary Baptist Church, while those opposing foreign missions remained in the old line Primitive Baptist Church. This question of missions was the only question dividing them as both had the same articles of faith and practices in the church, both having the same mode of baptism, same mode in administering the Lordís Supper, and both practicing foot washing and using the same discipline.” (Submitted on October 2, 2012, by Peggy Thomas of Fayetteville, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,271 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. 3. submitted on February 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of New Hope Primitive Baptist Church. • Can you help?