Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Main Street in the Late 1800s
—The Museum in the Streets —
Looking south from Prospect Street, where the shops and offices of Yankee Ridge are today, stood homes at the beginning of the 20th century. From the left are the Osborn house, owned by Richard Osborn, owner of the Ridgefield Lumber Company; the home of Dr. Howard P. Mansfield; the Dauchy house, which was torn down in the 1960s to make way for a commercial building at 440 Main St.; and the Lannon house. Gone are the fields that existed back then and all but one of the elm trees that lined the street have died, victims of Dutch Elm disease.
The Indian Trading Post, “Tuppence” (ca. 1710), to the left of A & P in this photo, is believed to be one of the oldest surviving all wooden post and beam structures in Ridgefield. Its unusual center hall saltbox floor plan supported the public trading room in the front, living quarters at the rear and a warehousing area above. It operated for almost 250 years in various types of retailing in the village location, surviving centuries of surrounding modernization and the Great Fire of 1895. It was moved intact to southern Main Street in the 1940s, where it is now a restored private residence. (Marker Number 11.)
Location. 41° 16.978′ N, 73° 29.906′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield Touch for map. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ballard Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village in the 1900s (within shouting distance of this marker); Ridgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Ridgefield (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (about 500 feet away but has been reported missing); The Museum in the Streets (about 500 feet away); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
More about this marker. Two old photographs appear on the left of the marker. One shows a 19th century view of Main Street looking south from the present location of the marker. The other photo depicts the 1710 Indian Trading Post. Photos courtesy of the Ridgefield Historical Society.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,314 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.