Patterson in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Presbyterian Church
Patterson 200 Years
(Of Patterson / Pawling)
Present Structure, 1838
This beautiful building is the third church of the Presbyterian Congregation in Patterson. The first, often referred to as “The Old Meeting House” was located west of here, on top of the hill, north of the Triangle Inn Corner. It was established by tenants on Philipse land, settlers from Connecticut, and is probably the meeting house referred to in the description of the Prendergast Rebellion of 1766 in Pelletreauís “History of Putnam County.” The second building was begun in 1794 on the land purchased by the trustees of the church from Thomas Townsend in 1793. This purchase included one acre south of the road, where the present Fellowship Hall and the Grange Hall are located, and a quarter acre adjacent to and north of the Episcopal cemetery. Additional land was obtained at that time from Stiles Peet and his wife, Lydia, on which the present building would be located. Matthew Paterson was an Elder of the church and Colonel Henry Ludington was a Trustee. The colonel and his daughter, Sybil, are buried in the church yard.
This second building, which was finally completed in 1808, was demolished in 1838 when the present building was erected in a period of growth and optimism. Reverend
Additions have been made to the building since 1838 including one bay and the beautiful and rare wooden ceiling. The church bell and yoke were purchased and installed in 1846 and the apse was added on the rear around 1868. The organ pipes, which were installed around 1900, were removed in the 1950s.
Location. 41° 30.842′ N, 73° 36.71′ W. Marker is in Patterson, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is on New York State Route 311 0.1 miles east of Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Patterson NY 12563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fellowship Hall (a few steps from this marker); Patterson Grange No. 939 (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Avenue Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ludington Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); District School No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterson Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Patterson.
Also see . . .
1. Patterson Historic District 1. (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. The Patterson Community Church. This "About Us" link on the Web Site of the Patterson Community Church gives a detailed history of the church. (Submitted on November 25, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 608 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.