Patterson in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fellowship Hall
Patterson 200 Years
(Presbyterian Church “Parish House”)
Originally called “The Parish House,” the Fellowship Hall was given to the Presbyterian Church by the Paterson Family between 1868 and 1877 while the Reverend James Baird was minister. It was built on part of the land which had been purchased by the trustees from Thomas Townsend and his wife in 1793. That purchase included, in addition to a quarter of an acre on the other side of the road where a Meeting House was built, an acre on this side, part of which was still unused. The Putnam County map of 1867 shows the District School Building (now the Grange Hall) in its present location, but no building on this site yet.
The Fellowship Hall has undergone more changes and additions to its original structure than any of the other buildings in the District. The kitchen, three classrooms, bathrooms and the stage were added in 1929 and two more classrooms were added and the building was renovated again between 1956 and 1962. Another extensive renovation was recently completed by the present Session, with the help and support of the community and volunteers.
On of the first Boy Scout Troops in the area met here between 1910 and 1913, and many theatrical performances were given between 1924 and
This building has always been and continues to be a beloved and well-used resource to both the Church and the community.
Location. 41° 30.832′ N, 73° 36.711′ W. Marker is in Patterson, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is on New York State Route 311 0.1 miles east of Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Patterson NY 12563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Patterson Grange No. 939 (a few steps from this marker); District School No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Avenue Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ludington Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterson Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Patterson.
Also see . . . Patterson Historic District 1. (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.