Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Patterson in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Patterson Grange No. 939

Patterson 200 Years

 
 
Patterson Grange No. 939 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
1. Patterson Grange No. 939 Marker
Inscription.
Patterson Grange No. 939
(Original Charter
Patterson Grange No. 237)
1874
The country was on the brink of a depression, and the power of the railroads dominated the post Civil War economy when farmers from the Midwest and the Northeast established the Grange in 1869. Five years later, in September 1874, membership was around 1.5 million nationwide in 20,000 local branches, when the first Patterson Grange, No. 237, met upstairs at the building now on Route 311 and Front Street. Records of that Grange exist through January 1878 containing interesting entries about correspondence with other Granges and a description of the purchase of “four lots of cheese to be sent to destitute families in Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas.”

Many other organizations which started up during these difficult times have disappeared. But the Grange has remained alive and relevant. While continuing to support legislation controlling the power of the railroads, it also lessened the farmersí dependence on other “middlemen” by forming cooperatives to process and market farm products and purchase general merchandise and farm implements. The Grange membership represented enough of a market that Montgomery Ward, the first large mail order business, was established primarily to sell to it.
Patterson Grange No. 939 Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 24, 2009
2. Patterson Grange No. 939 Building and Marker


The present Patterson Grange No. 939, chartered in November 1902 with 43 members, grew to 165 by 1910. Meetings were held in rented halls for several years until 1912, when the old school building was purchased and remodeled for a permanent meeting hall. Money for remodeling and other major expenses was raised by dances, auctions, minstrel shows, food sales, etc. the annual clam bake was the big event in Patterson for many years but was discontinued because of the polio epidemic. Two day “Farmer Institutes” were held with speakers, usually from agricultural colleges, who came in to lecture on pertinent topics. Franklyn Delano Roosevelt, our state senator-elect at the time, spoke at one.

Today we live in a different world from that described in the old minutes. Patterson is no longer a farming community but because of the presence of organizations like the Grange, the lessons and values learned during the period when it was, are kept alive and are available to us today.
 
Location. 41° 30.83′ N, 73° 36.727′ W. Marker is in Patterson, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is on New York State Route 311 0.1 miles east of Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Patterson Grange Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Patterson NY 12563, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. District School No. 1 (a few steps from this marker); The Fellowship Hall (a few steps from this marker); Maple Avenue Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ludington Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterson Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Patterson.
 
Also see . . .  Patterson Historic District 3. (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. AgricultureFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement