Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The town of Ebenezer was incorporated in 1893. Dr. W.B. Fewell was the first intendant, and the first wardens were J.W. Avery, A.A. Barron, S.A. Fewell, and J.B. Neely. The post office here from 1890-1911 was called Old Point. Earlier post offices were Ebenezer Academy (1822-1837) and Ebenezerville (1837-1866). The town was annexed to Rock Hill in 1961.
Erected 2005 by York County Culture and Heritage Museums, replacing a marker erected by the York County Historical Commission in 1980. (Marker Number 46-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, York County Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 57.426′ N, 81° 2.778′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Ebenezer Road (State Highway 274) and North Herlong Avenue (State Highway 728), on the right when traveling north on Ebenezer Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The CCC in York County / Tom Johnston Camp, (SCS#10), CCC (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Ebenezer (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ebenezer Confederate Memorial First Home of Winthrop College (approx. 1.4 miles away); Columbia Seminary Chapel (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis' Flight (approx. 1.6 miles away); McCorkle-Fewell-Long House / Oakland (approx. 1.7 miles away); President's House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company / Rock Hill Buggy Company and Anderson Motor Company (approx. 2 miles away); James Milton Cherry House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 635 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.