Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The “3C's” Railroad
The rail line which passes just north of this site was the second railroad to serve Rock Hill. Part of the Charleston, Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad (known locally as the 3C's), the first train on this line arrived here in 1888. The 3C's opened access to new markets and made possible the development of Rock Hill's second textile mill, Highland Park, located 0.7 miles east. Rock Hill owes its creation to an earlier line, the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad which was completed in Rock Hill in the fall of 1851. Soon after, the depot, the post office and a new village were named for a flint-rock hill located in the path of the rail line. No evidence of the original rock hill remains.
Location. 34° 55.558′ N, 81° 1.334′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of East White Street and South Charlotte Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East White Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Upper Land's Ford Road (here, next to this marker); Water Trough (here, next to this marker); The White Home (here, next to this marker); East Town Neighborhood White Home (within shouting distance of this marker); First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rock Hill High School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.