Dunn Loring in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dunn Loring Station
Unlike most other stations, which were built in a standardized style by the railroad, the Dunn Loring station reflected the late Victorian character of the surrounding homes and businesses. After passenger service stopped in 1951 the station functioned as a post office. It was torn down in 1963.
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 53.502′ N, 77° 13.351′ W. Marker is in Dunn Loring, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Sandburg Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail at the site of the old Dunn-Loring Station. Marker is in this post office area: Dunn Loring VA 22027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Tracks into History (here, next to this marker); Camp Alger (here, next to this marker); Luther P. Jackson High School (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Great Falls Line (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Court House of Fairfax County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Civil War Action at Vienna (approx. 1.9 miles away); Freedom Hill Redoubt (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Tracks into History (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dunn Loring.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of a Westbound train at Dunn Loring Station, 1950s. The station was built in 1887. On the upper right is an inset drawing of the original plat for Dunn Loring.
Also see . . . W & OD Railroad. Wikipedia article offering details of the railroad and a list of stations. (Submitted on November 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,508 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.