Near Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Potomac Path
This old road extends for about three miles through Rippon Lodge, where it has been preserved by Wade H. Ellis, present owner of the property.
Marked and Dedicated May 13, 1933, by The Susan Riviere Hetzel Chapter, D.C., D.A.R.
Marker relocated and rededicated April 25, 1982, Bill of Rights Chapter, VA, NSDAR.
Erected 1933 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 38° 37.172′ N, 77° 16.671′ W. Marker is near Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Forest Grove Drive and Rippon Boulevard (County Route 784), on the right when traveling north on Forest Grove Drive. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The King's Highway ~ Preserving History (here, next to this marker); The King's Highway ~ The Potomac Path (within shouting distance of this marker); Rippon Lodge ~ Latrobe's View (approx. 0.3 miles away); Potomac Path (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rippon Lodge ~ Neabsco Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedom High School Sundial Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Leesylvania (approx. one mile away); Neabsco Iron Works (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
More about this marker. This is the third location for this marker. The previous location was 38° 37′ 8.21″ N, 77° 16′ 40.32″ W, directly across Rippon Boulevard from its current location.
Also see . . . Virtual Tour of The King's Highway. (Submitted on January 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,724 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 13, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 13, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on September 13, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 7. submitted on February 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.