Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Neely Bryan and Margaret Beeman Bryan
1810–1877 and 1825–1919
Margaret Beeman was a daughter of John Beeman, a prosperous man from Illinois, of North Carolina heritage. At 15, she met Bryan at the Cross Roads Camp Ground, Bowie County. Her father staked his claim about eight miles from Bryan's town. She and Bryan married in 1843, and became parents of six children. Margaret, her father, and other relatives strongly supported Bryan's work as "Father of Dallas."
Bryan went to the California gold rush in 1849, but gained no fortune. After his return, he donated 98 city lots for a courthouse and county seat, then sold his ferry and remaining interest in the townsite. In poor health for many years, he died in Austin at 67. Margaret Beeman Bryan lived to age 94, and saw Dallas attain a population of over 150,000
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6605.)
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is near the Grassy Knoll area of Dealey Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas TX 75202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Kennedy Assassination Route (within shouting distance of this marker); Dealey Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Ferry and Bridge (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dallas County Records Building (about 500 feet away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (about 700 feet away); Central National Road (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Also see . . . The Handbook of Texas Online entry for James Neely Bryan. (Submitted on January 11, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,220 times since then and 121 times this year. Last updated on November 28, 2009, by Steven Johnson of Richardson, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.