Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lying in the Brazos River watershed and in basin of San Gabriel River, county has widely varied soils of blackland, limestone, and prairie types. Before the creation of Williamson County, settlements were situated at Tumlinson's Fort, Kenney's Fort, and other locations. Early mills made lumber, flour, and cloth.
Southwestern University, heir to charter granted by the Republic of Texas in 1840 to Rutersville College, was established in Georgetown in 1877.
Settlers were mainly of Anglo-American, Czech, German, Mexican, and Swedish ethnic groups. Eight incorporated towns and many smaller communities have developed. Population increased to 38,000 (with 15,000 registered voters) by 1970.
This courthouse -- built in 1910 at cost of $96,000 -- is the third for the county. C.H. Page was architect.
Erected 1970 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 30° 38.208′ N, 97° 40.651′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West 8th Street near South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 S Main St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (here, next to this marker); Ku Klux Klan Trials (within shouting distance of this marker); Lesesne-Stone Building (The KGTN Building) (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Jones Rivers (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers State Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shafer Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); David Love Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.