Near Relay in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Old Relay Station and Hotel
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 13.373′ N, 76° 42.766′ W. Marker was near Relay, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker could be reached from Railroad Avenue near Viaduct Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Halethorpe MD 21227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Thomas Viaduct ( within shouting distance of this marker); A Rural Vacation Spot ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masterpiece of the Early B&O Railroad ( about 300 feet away); During the Civil War The Relay House ( about 700 feet away); World War II ( approx. half a mile away); Elk Ridge Landing ( approx. half a mile away); Great War ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Relay.
Also see . . .
1. Relay Station and Hotel, c. 1886. Relay House, on the Patapsco River, was also known as the Viaduct Hotel. Constructed in 1872 at a cost of $50,078.41, it closed in 1938 and was demolished in 1950. In this photo its summer awnings are in place and a woman in period clothing is standing on the boardwalk. (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Relay House, c. 1860. The original Relay House. (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
3. The Viaduct Hotel. The B&O Viaduct Hotel, constructed between 1872 and 1873, can be seen in the upper right distance behind the Thomas Viaduct. A locomotive is passing over the viaduct from the Baltimore County to Howard County side. (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
4. Condensed History of the Relay Station and Hotel. “The gothic structure was built of Patapsco granite and trimmed in (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 6,711 times since then and 204 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 7. submitted on May 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.