Lewellen in Garden County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Ash Hollow Geology
Much of the ancient valley-fill is exposed in cross section in the cliff faces along the roof of Ash Hollow Cave, in the exhibit area. Some of the overlying hard ledges or mortar-beds probably represent hard-pan or caliche soils, and others contain fossil grass seeds and root-casts of yucca, all indicative of a semi-arid climate and plants somewhat like today. But the animals found in these rocks were very different, including camels, rhinoceroses, and long-jawed mastodonts, most of which became extinct before the Ice Age. The Ice Age animals were likewise mostly distinct from those now living here.
The earliest collections of fossils were made for F.D. Cope near here in 1879. Explorers who made geological contributions include John C. Fremont in 1843 and G.K. Warren in 1855.
Erected by Nebraksa Geological Society and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 160.)
Marker series. Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 18.1′ N, 102° 7.253′ W. Marker is in Lewellen, Nebraska, in Garden County. Marker is on U.S. 26. Touch for map. The marker is located a short walk north of the Ash Hollow State Historic Park visitor center. Marker is in this post office area: Lewellen NE 69147, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ash Hollow (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trading Post (approx. one mile away); School District 55 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Windlass Hill Pioneer Homestead (approx. 1.2 miles away); Oregon Trail (approx. 2.4 miles away); Wagon Ruts (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rough Going (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wagons in the West (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewellen.
Categories. • Animals • Natural Features • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,655 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.