Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Town Plat / The Tharp House
Side A: The Town Plat
Lebanon was laid out in September of 1802 by four pioneer settler. Cradled by the forks of Turtle Creek, 100 lots were carved out of the wild, primitive forest. At the time, there were only two cabins in the plat. The boundaries were what are now Silver, South, Water and the alley between Cherry and East streets.
Side B: The Tharp House
The house at 9 and 11 East Main Street may be the oldest building still standing in Lebanon. Located on Lot. No. 1, it was built between 1807 and 1814. In less than 20 years Lebanon grew from a frontier settlement, with fewer than 10 men in 1803, to a thriving village of nearly 2,000 citizens in 1820.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 25.992′ N, 84° 12.479′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 123) and Broadway (Ohio Route 48), on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9/11 East Main Street, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christmas Tree Park (a few steps from this marker); The Town Square / City Hall Site Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Ice Cream Parlor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); LCNB Building (about 500 feet away); Ferguson House (about 600 feet away); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 600 feet away); Van Sickle House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Also see . . . History of Lebanon. (Submitted on December 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Exploration • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.