Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kernville in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Kernville

California Historical Landmark

 
 
Kernville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
1. Kernville Marker
Inscription. Kernville called Whiskey Flat until 1864, was founded in 1860 when Adam Hamilton, whiskey dealer, moved shop here from more temperate Quartzburg, founded earlier that year. Both camps resulted from the discovery of the Big Blue Ledge by “Lovely” Rogers while tracking a stray mule from the earlier camp of Keyesville.
Dedicated
April 18, 1937

[Upper Plaque:]
This Monument Moved From
Old Kernville
and Rededicated
May 3, 1953
by
Kern River Chamber of Commerce
Kern River Veterans Club
Kern River V.F.W.
Kern County Historical Society
Kern County Museum

 
Erected 1937 by Kern River Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 132.)
 
Location. 35° 43.213′ N, 118° 26.158′ W. Marker is in Kernville, California, in Kern County. Marker can be reached from Wofford Heights Boulevard near Burlando Road (County Road 495), on the right. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to the Old Kernville Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Kernville CA 93238, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kernville Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured
Kernville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
2. Kernville Marker
in a direct line); Bob Powers (approx. 2.5 miles away); Old Isabella (approx. 5 miles away); Campsite of Edward Kern (approx. 5 miles away); USS Arizona (approx. 8.2 miles away); Silver City Ghost Town (approx. 9 miles away); Onyx Store - 1880
 (approx. 11.4 miles away); Havilah (approx. 14.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kernville.
 
Regarding Kernville. Marker was moved to this site in 1953 during the construction of Isabella Dam as its old location would be inundated by the waters of the new Lake Isabella.

This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.132 on January 31, 1934.
 
Also see . . .  The Ghost Towns of Kernville and Quartzburg. (Submitted on December 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Old Kernville
The Kern River, Kernville and the Kern Valley were named after topographer Edward M. Kern, who was a
Old Kernville Cemetery Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
3. Old Kernville Cemetery Dedication Plaque
Dedicated
To the Memory of
Quartzburg and Kernville Pioneers
Who Lie Here
Kern County is Their Monument
──────────────
Platrix Chapter E.C.V.
October 1, 1950
member of an expedition led by Captain Joseph Reddeford Walker and John C. Fremont in 1845-46. They camped at what was a fork of two rivers, now the middle of Lake Isabella. An 1848 gold rush led to the formation of a town called Rogersville, which was later renamed Whiskey Flat after the introduction of saloons. In 1861, the town was renamed Kernville.
The Isabella Dam project began in 1948. As a result, Kernville was moved upstream to its present location. The town's original location is slightly east of Wofford Heights. Foundations can still be seen when the lake is low.
The post office, established at the original site in 1868 was moved to the new site in 1951.
    — Submitted December 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Old Kernville Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
4. Old Kernville Cemetery
Old Kernville Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
5. Old Kernville Cemetery
Kernville Post Office image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Kern Valley Museum
6. Kernville Post Office
Discription on postcard:
Post Office on Nellie Dent Street in Old Kernville,Ca. mid 1948. This building was one of many moved to New Kernville when the Isabella Dam was constructed and is now a restaurant across from Circle Park.
Nellie Dent Street image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Kern Valley Museum
7. Nellie Dent Street
Discription on postcard:
Nellie Dent Street looking east in Old Kernville,Ca. about 1947. The old town location, approximately 2 miles south of New Kernville, periodically goes under the waters of Lake Isabella completed in 1953.
On Western Street, Kerville, Calif. image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Kern Valley Museum
8. On Western Street, Kerville, Calif.
Postcard Discription:
West side of Movie Street in Old Kernville,Ca. Production companies began filming here about 1916. First building on right was the Kernville schoolhouse prior to 1898.
That's Italian Restaurant image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 10, 2009
9. That's Italian Restaurant
Located in a historic building moved to new Kernville when Lake Isabella was created in the early 1950s.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,427 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6, 7, 8. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   9. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.
Paid Advertisement