Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Round Rock Cemetery
One-half acre in the northwest part of the 4.5-acre cemetery was used as a burial ground for slaves and freedmen during the nineteenth century. Numerous war veterans are buried here, as is bank robber and outlaw Sam Bass, who died July 21, 1878, two days after being shot by Texas Rangers in Round Rock. Others buried in the cemetery include G.T. Cole, one of the few area eye doctors; Round Rock Broom Factory owner Sam Landrum; stonemason John H. Gray; Round Rock Presbyterian Church minister John Hudson; and Methodist circuit rider J.W. Ledbetter. One unusual tombstone, which marks the gravesite of Mary Ann Lavender, bears the date February 30, 1870.
The Round Rock cemetery, which contains more than 2,000 graves, is a visible reminder of the early history of this part of Williamson County. The burial ground is cared for by the Round Rock Cemetery Association.
Erected 1983 by The Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9331.)
Location. 30° 31.012′ N, 97° 41.797′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from CR175 (Sam Bass Rd) 0.1 miles east of Clark St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Rock TX 78664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slave Burial Ground in Old Round Rock Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Barker House (approx. ¼ mile away); Education in Round Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); William M. Owen House Complex (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Round Rock (approx. half a mile away); Harrell Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); The Pioneer Builders (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sam Bass' Death Site (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
Also see . . . Sam Bass from Frontier Times. (Submitted on December 11, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 6, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 5. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 6, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 9. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.