Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Jackson’s Headquarters

 
 
Jackson's Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 25, 2007
1. Jackson's Headquarters Marker
Inscription. This house was used by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, then commanding the Valley District, Department of Northern Virginia, as his official headquarters from November 1861, to March, 1862, when he left Winchester to begin his famous Valley Campaign.
 
Erected 1963 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number Q 4f.)
 
Location. 39° 11.359′ N, 78° 9.923′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Braddock Street (U.S. 11) and Peyton Street, on the right when traveling south on North Braddock Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 N. Braddock Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Jackson’s Headquarters ( within shouting distance of this marker); Washington's Well ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Loudoun ( about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Loudoun ( about 400 feet away); Site of Fort Loudoun ( about 500 feet away); George Washington Lot
Headquarters Marker in Front of the Museum image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 25, 2007
2. Headquarters Marker in Front of the Museum
( about 800 feet away); Loyal Quaker and Brave Slave ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Sheridan’s Headquarters ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Also see . . .  Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum. (Submitted on September 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Jackson's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 25, 2007
3. Jackson's Headquarters
The cannon to the right is a Model 1857 "Napoloeon" 12 pounder smoothbore. For those tracking such minutia, this example was cast by Revere Cooper, Co. of Boston, Mass, in 1863. A battered muzzle face prevents exact identification but the foundry number "339" is clear on one of the trunnions.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,384 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement