Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glennville in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lynnís Bull Road

 
 
Lynnís Bull Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
1. Lynnís Bull Road Marker
Inscription. William Lynn completed his Bull Road past this site from Linnís Valley across Greenhorn Mountain to Keyesville in 1856. This freight route was used until the opening of the McFarlane Toll Road through Glennville en route to the Kern River Mines in 1864.
 
Erected 1969 by Kern County Historical Society and Kern County Museum.
 
Location. 35° 42.851′ N, 118° 43.652′ W. Marker is in Glennville, California, in Kern County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 155 and Granite Road, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 155. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glennville CA 93226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lavers Crossing (approx. 1.6 miles away); Glennville Adobe (approx. 1.7 miles away); Woody (approx. 6 miles away); Joseph Weringer, Sr. (approx. 6.1 miles away); Granite Station (approx. 10.1 miles away); Mountain House (approx. 11.2 miles away); Garcťs Baptismal Site (approx. 11.4 miles away but has been reported missing); California Hot Springs (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glennville.
 
Also see . . .  David Lavers. David Lavers, a friend of Lynn, helped him build the “Old Bull Road”. Lavers eventually purchased
Lynnís Bull Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 28, 2009
2. Lynnís Bull Road Marker
property in the area and the ranch continues today, being managed by his descendents. (Submitted on December 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. William Lynn
Glennville, settled by Madison M. Glenn in 1857, is located northeast of Bakersfield in what is known as Linnís Valley.

William P. Lynn, a farmer who mainly grew hay and potatoes, first settled in the region in the year 1854. He built the first mill in the county, on Poso Creek but the high waters of 1861-1862 washed away the mill. After the floods, Lynn sold his interests and went to Colorado.
    — Submitted December 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement