Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Evergreen on the Falls

National Register of Historic Places

 
 
Evergreen on the Falls Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
1. Evergreen on the Falls Marker
Inscription. Surveyed for John Walsh in 1754, large square cupola once crowned brick mansion. Built in Italianate style c.1860 by Henry Snyder. Leased after 1864 to James Hooper, owner of Meadow Mill. Estate was sold in 1870 to David Carroll, co-owner of Mount Vernon Mills. Acquired by Maryland Society for prevention of Cruelty to Animals in 1926. Granite structure, 1860 was valve house for Hampton Reservoir (filled with earth from Jones Falls Expressway Excavation.)
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 19.688′ N, 76° 38.045′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Falls Road (Maryland Route 25) 0.1 miles south of 36th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21211, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Sense of Sanctuary (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Remington-Wyman World War II Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Keswick (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Sheridan Libraries
Mansion House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
2. Mansion House
Now occupied by Maryland SPCA
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Keyser Quadrangle (approx. 0.8 miles away); Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAnimalsColonial EraNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
National Register Marker on Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 16, 2007
3. National Register Marker on Building
Hampton Reservoir and Pump (Valve) House image. Click for full size.
circa late 1950s
4. Hampton Reservoir and Pump (Valve) House
Pump House When the Reservoir was Being Filled In image. Click for full size.
circa 1962
5. Pump House When the Reservoir was Being Filled In
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,311 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2007, by Ruth Louise Mathews Henry of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Current photo of former valve house • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement