Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Gabriel Park
The site had become a popular gathering place for settlers when Sam Houston spoke here in 1859. It became known as “The Fairgrounds.” Large annual fairs, reunions and religious revivals drew crowds from surrounding areas. The county’s first public hanging took place here in 1886, Williamson County Old Settlers’ Association, formed in 1904, used the area for Annual Gatherings, eventually leasing 33 acres and building reunion structures. Helen Glasscock, the widow of George Glasscock, Jr., sold the site to I.M. Williams in 1912. A devastating flood in 1921 swept away the fairgrounds.
Georgetown citizens requested that the city buy the site from the Williams family and name it San Gabriel Park
Erected 1999 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12307.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 30° 38.969′ N, 97° 40.32′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from E Morrow St. 0.1 miles east of Stadium Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in San Gabriel Park. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¼ mile away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Georgetown Cemetery Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); C.A.D. Clamp (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 822 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?