Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Taylor Brethren Church
The Rev. Henry Juren of Fayetteville held Taylorís first Czech Protestant service in 1892. As more Czech Protestant immigrants arrived in Central Texas, more Brethren groups formed, served by traveling ministers. Among those was the Taylor Brethren Church, formally organized in 1895. The Rev. Antonin Motycka became the churchís first pastor. Three years later, the Brethren church began using space in the West Taylor Lutheran Church building at this site. In June 1902, the Brethren congregation purchased the property.
The church continued holding worship services in the Czech language until 1967. Today, the congregation recognizes its rich ethnic history, but it is now a diverse body whose members reflect many backgrounds and traditions.
Taylor Brethren Church has played a vital role in the cultural heritage of the community it serves. Throughout the congregationís long history members have continued to worship at this site and to follow the Protestant emphasis and doctrines established by its founders, who came to Texas seeking religious freedom and independence.
Erected 2005 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13290.)
Location. 30° 34.394′ N, 97° 25.719′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 Sloan St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doak Pavilion Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Booth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Doak Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tucker-Smith House (approx. ĺ mile away); St. James Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . Unity of the Brethren Church. (Submitted on December 7, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 34 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 7, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?