Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tennille in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sherman and Hardee at Tennille

 
 
Sherman and Hardee at Tennille Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
1. Sherman and Hardee at Tennille Marker
Inscription. Late on Nov. 24, 1864, Lieut. Gen. Wm J. Hardee CSA, arrived in Tennille to consult with Maj. Gen. H.C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia as to the advisability of further resistance along the line of the Oconee River, already reached by Gen. Shermanís army [US] on its destructive March to the Sea. After visiting Oconee and learning the gravity of the situation, Gen. Hardee ordered a withdrawal through Tennille (No. 13, CRR) to the line of the Ogeechee River, which was effected on the 26th.

The last Confederate unit had hardly cleared Tennille when the advance guard of the 20th Corps of Gen. Shermanís Left Wing arrived from Sandersville. That day Gearyís division, 20th Corps, destroyed four miles of railroad toward Davisboro while units of the Union Right Wing, which had crossed the Oconee River at Ballís ferry, destroyed track from Oconee (No. 14 CRR) to Tennille and burned the bridge over the river. In Tennille, the depot, water tank and all other rail facilities were burned.

Upon leaving Atlanta, on the 16th, Gen. Shermanís headquarters had accompanied the Left Wing, with which he remained as far as Sandersville. On the 27th, he transferred his headquarters to the Right Wing. At 10:00 A. M. he arrived in Tennille to join Headquarters, 17th Corps (Blairís) which he accompanied from Tennille, via Midville and Millen, to the
Sherman and Hardee at Tennille Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
2. Sherman and Hardee at Tennille Marker
Looking north in Tennille from the railroad tracks, with Smith Street on the left, and the parking lot on the right
outskirts of Savannah.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 150-19.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 32° 56.159′ N, 82° 48.722′ W. Marker is in Tennille, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Smith Street and East South Central Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Smith Street. Touch for map. The marker is at the edge of a parking lot, just north of the railroad tracks in Tennille. Marker is in this post office area: Tennille GA 31089, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tennille (a few steps from this marker); Tennille Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Davis (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. 3.2 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 3.3 miles away); Saunderís Store (approx. 3.3 miles away); Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tennille.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement