Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A distinguished and devoted educator, Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884), was the founding regent (or administrator). The Georgetown College Plant (7 blocks W) was donated by the city. Classes began Oct. 6, 1873.
Upon ceding the name “Texas University” to the state, Southwestern University was chartered on Feb. 6, 1875, and specifically granted all rights and privileges given earlier to Rutersville, Wesleyan, and McKenzie Colleges, and Soule University.
Women students were first admitted in 1878. The “Ladies Annex” was opened (1889) on present campus. This became permanent site of Southwestern University with construction of present main building, 1898-1900.
Erected 1973 by
Location. 30° 38.002′ N, 97° 39.91′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of TX-29 (E University Ave) and Vine St., on the right when traveling west on TX-29 (E University Ave). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woman’s Club of Georgetown (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southwestern University Main Building (about 700 feet away); Easley Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Harry N. Graves (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amos-Godbey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iota Chapter (approx. 0.2 miles away); XI Chapter Kappa Alpha Order (approx. ¼ mile away); W.C. Vaden House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . .
1. Southwestern University. (Submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Wikipedia: Southwestern University. (Submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
3. Handbook of Texas Online: SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY. (Submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 22, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on December 15, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.