Nacoochee in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Unicoi Turnpike
Permission to open the way as a toll road was given by the Cherokees in 1813 to a Company of Indians and white men. Tennessee and Georgia granted charters to the concern.
Prior to its establishment as a road, the trace was part of a trading path from Augusta to the Cherokees in East Tennessee.
Erected 2003 by Georgia Historical Marker. (Marker Number 154-1R.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 41.203′ N, 83° 42.614′ W. Marker is in Nacoochee, Georgia, in White County. Marker is on Unicoi Turnpike (State Highway 17) 0.1 miles north of Helen Highway (State Highway 75), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sautee Nacoochee GA 30571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nacoochee Indian Mound (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nacoochee Valley (approx. 0.7 miles away); Early Trading Post (approx. ¾ mile away); Discovery of Gold (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bishop Marvin A. Franklin (approx. 1.3 miles away); White Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stovall Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 3.5 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2009, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 20 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 10, 2009, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?