Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waverly in Pike County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Pike County Courthouse

 
 
Pike County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 9, 2009
1. Pike County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.
The Pike County Courthouse was at Piketon from 1815-1861 when county residents voted to move the county seat to Waverly. The Waverly Public Square was donated to the county by the Meschech Downing family in September, 1861. A committee was appointed to oversee the courthouse construction and the completed structure was deeded to the county in December 1866 for $5. An addition was added to the front in 1909. Inside, the common pleas courtroom houses busts of entrepreneur-businessman and first millionaire of Pike County, James Emmitt, and his wife, Louisa, and a mural of "Blind Justice" painted by late local lawyer, W. T. Reed.
 
Erected 1992 by Pike County Commissioners, Ralph J. Breseter, Dr. John R. Allen Jr., Raymond Fout Jr., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-66.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 7.569′ N, 82° 59.06′ W. Marker is in Waverly, Ohio, in Pike County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (Ohio Route 220) and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E. 2nd Street, Waverly OH 45690, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Pike County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., http://www
2. Pike County Courthouse and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Savings Stamps (here, next to this marker); German Evangelical Church / Pike Heritage Foundation Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Canal Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Twentieth-Century War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pike County Veterans Memorial (approx. mile away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. one mile away); Piketon (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waverly.
 
Also see . . .  Pike County Courthouse. (Submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. GovernmentIndustry & CommerceLandmarksNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Pike County Courthouse Courtroom image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 9, 2009
3. Pike County Courthouse Courtroom
Murals and busts on far wall, as noted on marker.
Pike County Courthouse Courtroom Mural image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 9, 2009
4. Pike County Courthouse Courtroom Mural
Pike County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 9, 2009
5. Pike County Courthouse
Note worker on steeple.
Pike County Courthouse Steeple Work image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 9, 2009
6. Pike County Courthouse Steeple Work
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Close photos of busts in courtroom. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement