Bartlett in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church
The years 1921 and 1933 were lean ones. The church building was moved to Bowie Street in 1953 because of unstable land on its Brook Street site. The structure was modernized in the 1960s and 1970s. Membership increased dramatically, and the congregation began to integrate after 1977.
The eighth decade of the church's history brought new developments. The congregation moved into a new brick facility in 1980, the same year the church name was changed to Mount Ararat Missionary Baptist Church after it was discovered that Mount Arie was an abbreviation for the name of the mountain on which Noah's Ark landed as depicted in the Old Testament.
The Mount Ararat Missionary Baptist Church celebrated its centennial in June 1998. The congregation supports widespread missionary and outreach programs. The membership and its diversity continue to increase as the congregation carries on in the traditions of its founders.
Erected 1999 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12304.)
Location. 30° 47.586′ N, 97° 26.152′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on South Bowie Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 529 South Bowie Street, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Bartlett Colored School (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Bartlett (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,995 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photo 1. submitted on January 14, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?