Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Falmouth in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Magistrate’s Office

 
 
The Magistrate’s Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 16, 2007
1. The Magistrate’s Office Marker
Inscription. The Magistrate’s Office is the oldest existing municipal building in Stafford County. Originally built for the town of Falmouth, the structure has been used as a courthouse (magistrate’s office) and voting place. Traditionally referred to as the Customs House, the earliest known account of the building, in 1895, refers to it as a courthouse. Its original date of construction is not known, however, its architectural style and remaining original material suggest that it may have been constructed sometime in the first half of the nineteenth century. The Magistrate’s Office is dedicated to Dr. E. Boyd Graves who was instrumental in the early preservation of the building.
 
Erected 1987.
 
Location. 38° 19.387′ N, 77° 28.162′ W. Marker is in Falmouth, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is at the intersection of West Cambridge Street and Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on West Cambridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is located within a few steps of the Historic Falmouth Highway Marker. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Falmouth (here, next to this marker); Conway House
The Magistrate’s Office and Markers image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 16, 2007
2. The Magistrate’s Office and Markers
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Forlorn Hope (about 700 feet away); A Sad Duty to Perform (about 700 feet away); Hobby School (about 700 feet away); Freedom Began Here (about 700 feet away); Moncure Daniel Conway (about 800 feet away); Anthony Burns (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falmouth.
 
Also see . . .  Building has 'story to tell'. This article, by Hugh Muir was published in Fredericksburg's Free Lance Star on November 10, 2009. (Submitted on November 13, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
The Magistrate’s Office is next to the Historic Falmouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 16, 2007
3. The Magistrate’s Office is next to the Historic Falmouth Marker
Dedication Marker for Dr. Graves image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 16, 2007
4. Dedication Marker for Dr. Graves
In the Memory of
Dr. E. Boyd Graves
1904 – 1986
Historian, Preservationist, Educator, and Faithful Servant
Dedicated October 18, 1987
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,182 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement