Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Phillips Mills Baptist Church
The present edifice is the second to be built on the site, which was donated to the church by Joel Phillips. Since its organization, many important conferences have been held in Phillips Mills Church, and young men whose names are now famous in the ministry have preached their first sermons here.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 40.088′ N, 82° 52.976′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of Greensboro Road (Georgia Route 44) and Rocker Road (County Route 50), on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Kettle Creek Battlefield (approx. 1.6 miles away); Kettle Creek Battleground (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Chivers Plantation and Store (approx. 4.9 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (approx. 6½ miles away); Columbus Granade (approx. 6½ miles away); Bethesda Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.