Picatinny Arsenal in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Naval Commander's Home
Erected by U.S. Army Armament Research and Development Center (ARDC) Historical Office.
Location. 40° 57.002′ N, 74° 32.272′ W. Marker is in Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Road 0.1 miles from Lake Denmark Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on Federal property. A Visitor Pass is required from Picatinny Arsenal to view historic marker(s) on the U.S. Army Garrison site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3250 Main Rd, Picatinny Arsenal NJ 07806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1500 Former Army Rocket Test Area Historic District (1946-1989) (approx. 0.4 miles away); NARTS Test Area D & E Historic Districts (1946-1989) (approx. 0.9 miles away); 600 Ordnance Testing Area Historic District (1928-1948) (approx. 1.1 miles away); Walton Burial Ground (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mount Hope (approx. 1½ miles away); Administration and Research Historic District (approx. 1½ miles away); Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768 (approx. 1½ miles away); M153 - Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Picatinny Arsenal.
More about this marker. While the actual year the marker was erected is currently unknown, we can deduce from the erecting organization that it was 1986 or earlier. In 1986, the Army ordered all its R&D centers to recognize their engineering role and change the name from ARDC (as noted on the marker) to ARDEC, the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2009, by Jason Huggan of Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 963 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2009, by Jason Huggan of Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.