Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Driskill Hotel

 
 
Driskill Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
1. Driskill Hotel Marker
Inscription. Built 1885-86 by Col. Jesse L. Driskill (1824-1890), cattle king who moved to Austin in 1869. Brick dressed with limestone. Had three grand entrances – one the largest arched doorway in Texas. “Ladies’ Entrance” was on northeast, bust of Col. Driskill is over south arch, busts of his rancher sons on east and west. Rich furnishings were selected by Col. Driskill, who leased out his hotel – southwest’s finest when it opened, Christmas 1886.
 
Erected 1966 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13931.)
 
Location. 30° 16.082′ N, 97° 44.481′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 Brazos St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of John Bremond & Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Sixth Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Littlefield Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 400 feet away); Scarbrough Building (about 500 feet away); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building
Driskill Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
2. Driskill Hotel
(about 500 feet away); Platt-Simpson Building (about 500 feet away); Saint David’s Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .  The Driskill Hotel. (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement