Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia
The tree, always afterward known as The Presbyterian Poplar, stood for more than 150 years after the ordination.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 44.35′ N, 82° 43.933′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Poplar Drive (Georgia Route 17) 0.1 miles north of Alexander Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Presbyterian Poplar (here, next to this marker); Gilbert-Alexander House Wisteria Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tarver-Maynard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dyson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.