Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgia Militia at Forsyth

 
 
Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker
Inscription. On Nov. 16, 1864, Maj. Gen. G. W. Smith, CSA, reached Griffin (30 miles NW) after a night withdrawal from Lovejoy’s Station (13 miles N of Griffin) where he had been posted to support Iverson’s division of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] which was watching for a movement by Gen. Sherman’s army [US] from Atlanta toward Macon. His force consisted of 2800 infantry of the First Division, Georgia Militia, 3 batteries, and about 250 local reserve cavalry.

On the 15th, Gen. Sherman’s Right Wing had marched from White Hall (West End) near Atlanta toward Jonesboro and Lovejoy’s Station. Although Gen. Smith was prepared to fight a delaying action at Lovejoy’s Station, the Union column turned SE at Morrow’s Station (4 miles N of Jonesboro), toward Stockbridge and McDonough, forcing him to withdraw to the fortifications of Griffin to protect the hospital center there.

Late on the 16th, Gen. Smith learned that the Union forces had moved south through Stockbridge and McDonough toward Jackson, on the Atlanta-Macon road (22 miles N of Forsyth). At dark, he withdrew from Griffin and marched his command to Forsyth, to protect this defenseless town and to put his troops into position to delay the enemy’s advance on Macon
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 102-7.)
 
Marker series.
Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Georgia Militia at Forsyth Marker
The marker stands on Brooklyn Avenue in front of the Monroe County Board of Education
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 2.007′ N, 83° 55.99′ W. Marker is in Forsyth, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is on Brooklyn Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles from South Bennett Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Monroe County Board of Education office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Brooklyn Avenue, Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Hospital Camp (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bessie Tift College (about 600 feet away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tift College (approx. ¼ mile away); Where Uncle Remus Came of Age (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monroe County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Forsyth (approx. 0.4 miles away); State Teachers and Agricultural College/Hubbard Training School (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 966 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement