Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Texas Capitol
Architect E.E. Myers of Detroit won a national competition with his plans for this Capitol. The contractor was Mattheas Schnell of Rock Island, Ill. Basement excavation began early in 1882. Railroads built especially for this project hauled limestone from the Oatmanville Quarries in Travis County as well as stone donated by the owners of the Granite Mountain in Burnet County. The 900 workmen on the project included 86 granite cutters brought from Scotland. Charles B. and John V. Farwell, Chicago bankers, funded the construction and were repaid in land in ten Panhandle counties, on which they founded the famous XIT Ranch. At dedication ceremonies on May 18, 1888, the Capitol was accepted on behalf of the people by State Senator Temple Houston, son of Texas hero Sam Houston. He called it “a structure that shall stand as a sentinel of eternity”.
Erected 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14568.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Texas Legislatures (here, next to this marker); Tyler Rose (here, next to this marker); The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas (here, next to this marker); African Americans in the Texas Revolution (here, next to this marker); Governor Edmund Jackson Davis (here, next to this marker); Governor James Edward Ferguson August 31, 1871 -September 21, 1944 (here, next to this marker); Governor Andrew Jackson Hamilton (here, next to this marker); Governor Elisha Marshall Pease (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Texas State Capitol from Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on February 11, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 4. submitted on April 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?