Bakersfield in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In the decades after the end of the Civil War, an unstable economy created economic and social turmoil in the United States. People looking for opportunity migrated to the West.
The Kern County Land Company founded the Rosedale Colony in 1890. After building the Calloway Canal through the area, the company recruited settlers from the eastern United States and Europe.
In 1898, William and Irena Weller migrated from Michigan to Kern County with their children, Amos and Alma, settling in the rural farming community of Rosedale. William and Irena lived in this board and batten style house originally located on their farm west of Bakersfield.
In 1899, Amos Weller purchased a store dealing in general merchandise from W. R. Sheppard for $1.00. By 1910, William worked as a clerk in his son’s store while Irena tended to their home.
Raymond F. Stockton and Marjorie M. Stockton, William and Irena Weller’s granddaughter, donated this house to the Kern County Museum in 1957.
Erected by Kern County Museum.
Location. 35° 23.547′ N, 119° 1.247′ W. Marker is in Bakersfield, California, in Kern County. Marker can be reached from Chester Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Photographer’s Studio (here, next to this marker); Sheepherder's Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Pinkney House (a few steps from this marker); Miller and Lux Survey Office (a few steps from this marker); Drug Store (a few steps from this marker); Wells, Fargo & Company Express Office (a few steps from this marker); Southern Pacific Railroad Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bakersfield.
Regarding Weller House. This house was originally located in Rosedale which was formerly a country town 10 miles west of Bakersfield. It is now completely surrounded by suburban sprawl. Founded in 1891 as a colony of English farmers, it had its own post office from 1891 to 1913.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.