Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Johnson Home
Walls are 18 inches thick. A stone-paved breezeway joined the two wings of the building.
A long porch with six Ionic columns was added, and the open breezeway closed following the purchase of the property in 1924 as permanent home of the Travis Post 76, American Legion.
Erected 1966 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6448.)
Location. 30° 16.566′ N, 97° 46.304′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 1/2 Veterans Dr, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Travis County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deep Eddy Bathing Beach (about 600 feet away); Ashford McGill House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clay Pit Bucket Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Austin High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Men's Home Esperanza School Building (approx. half a mile away); Swedish Log Cabin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Excerpt from Austin Statesman, Sunday October 19,1924. An except from the Austin Statesman is provided on the American Legion Travis Post 76 website. The McGill Ford referenced on the marker was a known ford utilized by Native Americans. (Submitted on October 13, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 792 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 4. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.