Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin High School
A Centennial of Public High School Education
Austin High School opened in September 1881 with an enrollment of 31 girls and 17 boys. Classes were first held on the third floor of the west Austin school building at the corner of 11th and Rio Grande. Due to continued growth, classes were later moved to the First Baptist Church building, the temporary State Capitol, and the Smith Opera House. In 1900 the first high school building was completed at Trinity and 9th. When the enrollment outgrew the facilities there, the high school was moved to the campus of John T. Allan Junior High School on Rio Grande. Austin High was moved again in 1975, following the completion of a new complex at this site.
For over a century, Austin High School has been a leader in the development of innovative educational programs and has maintained a record of academic excellence that reflects the community’s concern for the quality of education in Austin.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6449.)
Location. 30° 16.396′ N, 97° 45.991′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1715 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clay Pit Bucket Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Men's Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Travis County (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Johnson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Esperanza School Building (approx. half a mile away); Mathews School (approx. half a mile away); Swedes of Texas (approx. half a mile away); Swedish Log Cabin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?