Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Goodall Wooten House
Construction of this house began in 1898 and was completed in January 1900. Designed by Dallas architect Charles OíConnell, it soon became an Austin landmark and was known for the extensive gardens planted by Ella Wooten. Renovations in 1910 changed the simple house into a grand Classical Revival mansion, and it remains one of the premiere examples of that style in Austin.
Prominent features of the Goodall Wooten House include its handsome brick and stonework, wrap-around gallery, balustrade, and massive two-story paired columns with Ionic capitals. It is typical of the large-scale homes built in this neighborhood at the turn of the century. The house remained in the Wooten family until 1944.
Erected 1990 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6455.)
Location. 30° 16.971′ N, Touch for map. The marker faces the West Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard side of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1900 Rio Grande Street, Austin TX 78705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denny-Holliday House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Larmour House (about 600 feet away); Hugh B. Hancock House (about 600 feet away); Site of Edward Mandell House Home (about 700 feet away); West Hill (about 700 feet away); Herblin – Shoe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gerhard-Schoch House (approx. ľ mile away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 953 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.