Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Dental Association
The association experienced difficulties during the 1870s, and by 1880 Texas dentists saw the need for a reorganization. A new society, the Texas State Dental Association, was formed and held its first meeting in Houston on November 25, 1880. The members elected Dr. William S. Carruthers of Galveston as president. At a meeting in Austin in August 1881 members of the original and new organizations voted to merge and operate under the original group's 1871 charter.
The association has held annual meetings for its members since 1880. The "Texas Dental Journal," dating to 1883, is the oldest continuously published dental periodical in the western hemisphere. Headquartered in Austin since 1971, the association has been instrumental in drafting and effecting legislation regulating the practice of dentistry in Texas.
Erected 1997 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12246.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1946 S IH-35, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reuter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ollie O. Norwood Estate (approx. 0.8 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Academy (approx. one mile away); Saint Edward’s University Main Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Approximate Site Reached By the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. 1.2 miles away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.