Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church

 
 
Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
1. Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Austin Methodists organized in 1840 and began in 1847 worshiping at Congress and 4th Street. This site was purchased in 1853 and a building begun under the Rev. John W. Phillips (1821-1891). In 1883, the Rev. A.E. Goodwyn (1818-1902) led in the construction of a larger sanctuary. The congregation was known as “Central Church” and “Tenth Street Church”. In 1909 it officially changed to “First Methodist Church”. Legislators and other government officials worshiped here. The congregation moved in 1923 to a new building at Lavaca and 12th Street.
 
Erected 1979 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 15472.)
 
Location. 30° 16.284′ N, 97° 44.406′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of E 10th St and Brazos St on E 10th St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Mary’s Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Highway Department (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); M.M. Long’s Livery Stable and Opera House (about 500 feet away); Old Bakery (about 500 feet away); The Texas Capitol (about 600 feet away); Confederate Texas Legislatures (about 600 feet away); Tyler Rose (about 600 feet away); Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880’s (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 31 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement