Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Jeﬀerson County Courthouses
Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818.
After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat established at Elyton, 1820.
County seat moved to Birmingham, 1873. Two story brick Courthouse completed 1875 on NE corner 3rd Ave. and 21st St., North. Replaced 1887 by elaborate three story structure which served county until 1931. Separate Bessemer Division of Circuit Court established 1915. Bessemer Courthouse completed 1920.
Present Courthouse completed 1931. Designed by Holabird and Root of Chicago. Constructed of reinforced concrete faced with granite and limestone. North Annex built 1964.
Sculptured reliefs on west face depicting history of Jefferson County by Leo Friedlander.
Murals in west foyer representing "Old South" and "New South" by John Norton.
Bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson by Birmingham artist Georges Bridges.
Erected 1982 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 31.26′ N, 86° 48.558′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County Touch for map. Marker located to the north of the west entrance (Linn Park side) of the Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North, Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tutwiler Hotel/The Tutwiler-Ridgely Rebirth (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clark Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jefferson County Courthouse Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Title Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Powell School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Also see . . . The 1887-1931 Jefferson County Courthouse. Image from the Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections of the 1887-1931 Jefferson County Courthouse that was located on 3rd Avenue and 21st Street North. (Submitted on December 22, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,755 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.