Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
All Saintsí Episcopal Church
All Saintsí, erected in 1899 as a chapel for Grace Hall, was dedicated to the memory of the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg (1819-93), first Episcopal Bishop of Texas. Austin architect A.O. Watson designed the Gothic Revival structure of native limestone. Its stained glass windows of Medieval Mosaic style are recognized as fine examples of American art.
By 1910, All Saintsí had become a parish in the growing university neighborhood. In time, three of its Rectors became Bishops. The crozier of office of Bishop Kinsolving stood in the chancel for 35 years. He was revered as the founder, benefactor, and lifelong friend of the parish. As he had wished, his body was buried beneath the altar in 1939.
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15108.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buen Retiro (within shouting distance of this marker); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (about 700 feet away); Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus (about 700 feet away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmund and Emily Miller House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gerhard-Schoch House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . All Saints' Episcopal Church. (Submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 719 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.