Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
The new institution opened in 1902 as the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, with the Rev. Dr. Thornton Rogers Sampson as President. Classes were held at an east Austin campus in a donated building. Wishing to take advantage of an academic partnership with the University of Texas, Sampson succeeded in moving the seminary campus to this site in 1908. Smoot’s and Dabney’s original goal of having seminary students remain in the region was realized, as graduates accepted calls to pastorates in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.
After World War I, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary began a Spanish-speaking department to serve the Hispanic population in south Texas. Other programs have developed over the years to equip Presbyterian pastors with training and education for ministry in a rapidly
Erected 2002 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12743.)
Location. 30° 17.501′ N, 97° 44.264′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E 27th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus (a few steps from this marker); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (within shouting distance of this marker); All Saints’ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buen Retiro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. Frank Dobie House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House (approx. half a mile away); Stanley and Emily Finch House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 719 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?