Stratford in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Captain David Judson House
Has been entered into the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department
Of the Interior – 1973
A priceless reminder of Stratford’s
Location. 41° 11.277′ N, 73° 7.775′ W. Marker is in Stratford, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Academy Hill and Main Street (Connecticut Route 113), on the right when traveling east on Academy Hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stratford CT 06615, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain John Carpenter (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratford Disabled American Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratford World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratford World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratford Vietnam Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stratford Veterans Memorial Stratford American Revolutionary War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Stratford Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stratford.
Regarding Captain David Judson House. Built about 1750 by Capt. David Judson on the site of his great-grandfather William's 1639 stone house, it was home to nine Judson generations until 1888 when the house was sold to John Wheeler. In 1891 the house was sold to Celia and Cornelia Curtis and in 1925 was willed to the Stratford Historical Society. The Society authentically restored the house to its 18th century condition under the supervision of Elmer Keith (an authority on architecture of that period) and Abbott Lowell Cummings (Asst. Director, Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities). The actual work was largely done by volunteers who continue to help maintain the house today.
Judson House, with its large central chimney into which are built 6 fireplaces and its post and beam 2-story construction, represent a transition between the saltbox and Georgian style houses. The house is located on what was first called Watch House Hill, then Meeting House Hill, now Academy Hill between Main and Elm Streets.
Also see . . .
1. Captain David Judson House on Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Judson House Stratford Connecticut. (Submitted on December 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 2,116 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.