Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During the early 1900s the city purchased the county’s share of the hospital and assumed full responsibility for its operation. In 1912 Dr. Robert John Brackenridge (1839-1918), a retired physician, worked for the passage of a bond election that allowed construction of a new, 45-bed facility, which was completed in 1915. The 1884 building was razed in 1927, and two years later the name of the hospital was changed to honor Dr. Brackenridge. Since then, expansion of facilities and services has meant quality medical care for citizens of Austin and the surrounding area.
Over the years, the hospital staff has cared for victims of the 1918 influenza epidemic, the mid-20th century polio outbreak, and the 1966 sniping attack at the University of Texas. As the state’s oldest continuing public hospital, Brackenridge was the site of the first intracranial and open-heart surgeries and of the first kidney transplant in central Texas.
Erected 1984 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15416.)
Location. 30° 16.489′ N, 97° 44.025′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from East 15th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 E 15th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swedish Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Samuel Huston College (approx. ¼ mile away); Scholz Garten (approx. ¼ mile away); Heman Sweatt Campus (approx. ¼ mile away); Texas and the Civil War (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Archive War (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1928 Granite Water Fountain (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . University Medical Center - Brackenridge. (Submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,279 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?